Tuesday 29 April 2014

Hostel Review: Pillow & Toast Heritage, Singapore again!

So I'm back from Singapore again for another job interview. I took Aeroline coach this time, and I like it compare with flight. 1) its cheap 2) its nearby apartment (you can choose either One Utama, Corus Hotel or Sunway, www.aeroline.com.my) 3)the seat was very comfy 4) food was better than airline food 5) most importantly, there's toilet inside! 6) in house entertainment was not bad. So next time to Singapore again no more KLIA.

So I took the coach at 5.30 pm, but arrived pretty late due to peak hour traffic in KL and also problem with Singapore immigration (long story, I will tell some other time). Arrived at Harbourfront around 1.30, I'm expecting my taxi fare would cost more than SGD 20 , but its only SGD12! So cheap consider it was midnight rate and its Singapore. Taxi driver has no problem finding the hotel, its really just in front of Chinatown MRT.

The room was booked via www.agoda.com , rate advertised on Agoda was SGD30.98, walk in rate was SGD33 for female 8 beds dorm. Even in Agoda stated front office 24 hours, but dont trust 100% on that. Most hostel only has front office operation hours until 11 pm, same goes with this place. You will have to notify your late arrival and they will provide special late check in instruction.

 
The hostel left me this envelope at the check in counter with locker key and access card inside. You need to use the access card to enter the room and also the main door.
 
 
Hostel decoration is very laid back but comfy, they have few selection of books and dvds for you to borrow. They so selling ticket to attraction places like Universal Studio, Night Safari etc with 10% discount of original price. The board with Instagram sign is the photobooth, the hostel provide props such as hat / Hawaiian flowers / fake suitcase / glasses.
 
 
The hostel provide whiteboard, which you may express your thought / feedback.  
 
 
After 11 PM, three's no hostel staff at all. Lucky no zombie that night.
 
The room was pretty basic, the hostel provides towel & adapter inside the locker. However you have to put on pillow case, bed sheet, quilt cover by yourself, the hostel will put on top of the bed. Since I arrived late, others already slept, so I didn't bother to put on bed sheet because its was dark and I don't want to make noise. Each beds has its own light and switch plug.
 
The toilets are outside, it was smelly. The shower rooms just next to the dorm, it was okay, as long as there's hot shower and hair dryer, good enough for me. The hostel only provide shower cream, so bring your own shampoo.
 
Breakfast start from 7 until 11 am, since its Pillow and Toast so basically the breakfast was just toast and 2 types of cereal, coffee a tea. Help yourself at the pantry, and you have to wash your own plate / cup after eating. There's sign board from the hostel 'if you don't wash your own cup, we will have to hire someone to wash it, and the hostel rate will increase. I'm sure you don't want that'. The hostel management really has sense of humour haha.
 
My interview location was in Pasir Panjang, so I asked the reception girl how to get to that place. She suggested to go to the website www.gothere.sg , the website was really helpful I managed to find the place, however she should at least show me the direction not just push away like that.
 
Overall the hostel was okay but not great, suitable for hippies like me. Its nearby MRT if that's what you are looking for and the chicken rice restaurant downstairs was really nice and cheap, SGD3.50 per meal. If you prefer something more comfortable and privacy and suggested the Pod in Bugis , its a little bit pricey (I think its around SGD10 difference) but you don't feel like a hostel.
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment