Sunday 13 July 2014

Sabaidee Vientian

I feel like its been forever since I last travelled. This trip was planned since last year due to Airasia free seat promotion. It suppose to be solo travel at first but suddenly my friend decided to join. Well I'm looking for 2 things in Laos 1) tubing party in Vang Vieng, 2) larb ( Laos cuisine, famous in northen part of Thailand as well).

In Laos , they accept both THB and KIP someplace accept USD as well, I prefer to use THB instead, as any currency with too many zero often confused me. We arrived at the airport after almost 3 hours of terrible flight (bad weather), even I love the idea of travelling, I always I have the image of myself as air crashed victim sometimes. At the airport I took a taxi, which cost THB 240 / USD 7. If you want to go to Vang Vieng directly from the airport, there's taxi that cost USD90 per car, worth it if for more than 2 travellers.

It was 9 am, hence we were not allow to check in yet, we walked around the city. The city was pretty small actually, can cover by foot! We had early lunch at nearby hotel 'Noodle house' , its look a little bit 'high so' and hipster kind of place. I ordered Luang Prabang Noodle and chicken skewer bbq , it was just okay, nothing to shout about and its cost around MYR17, its common price for restaurant at tourist spot I guess. After meal, its already 11 something, still early to go back to hotel, we walked to Lao national museum. The museum was pretty small,  when we about to buy the ticket (THB150), the lady at the counter said the museum will closed at 12 noon for lunch break. its kind of weird for me. I felt its a waste of time if we decided to go the museum, we asked the local for direction to famous temple of Wat Sisaket, but we were told that its closed during lunch time as well. As its nothing much to do, we walked back to the hotel and just chilling at the hotel lobby with free wifi. The hotel receptionist was so kind to gave us early check in. I guess they knew that we were planning to go to Vang Vieng, the offered bus ticket at THB200 the next day. We stayed at the Manorom Boutique hotel, booked via www.agoda.com around MYR100++ for superior twin. For that price, the room was really great, comfortable bed, TV, wifi (wifi very slow most of the time can't even connect, but that's not the big issue), hot shower, and breakfast. I was about to write a good review about this hotel, my friend already wrote in on Tripadvisor, but somehow I woke in the morning and walked to the toilet, there was a big RAT on top of the toilet seat!! Most of the tourist will scream at the hotel receptionist or call Agoda hotline and make a big fuse about it. Well, for me just give some feedback the hotel receptionist so they can do something is good enough, its not worth it if you want to waste your energy and spoilt your mood over a rat.
Room at Manarom
 
Lao people are very nice, even they can't speak good English, they will try to assist you. Everywhere you go, you will here people said 'Sabaidee'. Sabaidee in Thai language mean I'm fine , its confused me at first when random stranger keep saying 'I'm fine' to me, then only I realized its the way they greeting, same with Sawasdee in Thailand. Lao language pretty much similar to northern Thai Language, language its not really a problem for me, as I grew up with people speak in northern Thai around me.


Sunset of Mekong River

Fisherman at Mekong

 
Our initial plan was to relax in the hotel room for 5 minutes, however we were so tired and sleepy, end up took a nap until 5 PM instead. From the hotel room, we walked all the way to Mekong river along the way there's many backpackers hostel and tourist restaurant served European food. The sunset view along the Mekong river was to die for! We had local food at the stall nearby the Mekong River. I was assuming that roadside food is the cheapest place to eat, end up we paid THB 600 for lousy green curry, larb pla (was really nice!) , crispy grilled chicken, too spicy papaya salad, sticky rice, steam rice, 2 bottles of water and pineapple shake. I guess this is how tourist in KL felt like when they paid for meal in Jalan Alor.

Laotion dinner, from top left: larb pla, somtam, grilled chicken and sticky rice
 
After dinner, we walked around night market at the river side. The night market was really clean, can't even compare to KL downtown market or Petaling Street. We bought some souvenir, if you are looking for fridge magnet like me the choice was really limited and the price around MYR 5 - MYR 10 per piece. Its expensive for as usually the price in Thailand tourist spot only around 3 for THB100.
 
 
Silk shawl at night market
 
There's so many things I wish to see in Vientiane such as Buddha Park, Wat Sisaket , Musee' but the time was really limited. After came back from Vang Vieng, I got a fever and flu (probably due to rain and cold weather), so we were just in the room whole day until dinner time. Next day early flight back to KL already :( . Yes my mission was to find the best larb and tubing party, but instead of that I get something else, the honesty of Lao people and to die for  nature scenery, I can't even believe my own eyes. So, come to Laos while its still less commercialized , the nature is still preserved for you to explore more.


No comments:

Post a Comment